Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A little bit of honesty...


Have you ever thought about the word "honesty?" What it means exactly to be honest with yourself and with others...? Sometimes, I find it to be very challenging. I am a pro when it comes to acting like everything is okay, like I have it handled, like I have a grasp on it when in truth I'm a big mess. Yep. This brings me to the next word: "vulnerability." I think I actually might be allergic to that word. But, in yoga class yesterday, Maria, our teacher spoke to us about both of these things and I thought, my gah, here I am trying to pretend that everything is okay and here I am lying to myself and not making any sense to anyone else, all because in some way I feel weak if I were to say, "I'm not okay. I might cry. I might fall apart a little." If I do ever say these words, I immediately start apologizing for myself. So, here's to honesty.

And a little bit of an excerpt...

"The more honest we are with ourselves about how we feel and what we really think, the more power we will have. We may have once thought that being powerful means not giving into what we felt, what we thought, or how we really were. But that attitude didn't garner power for us. It caused life, the universe to continue creating situations that would help open our hearts, help us to feel, help us to learn the lesson of vulnerability. The sooner we become honest with ourselves, the sooner we can be honest with others. The sooner we become honest with ourselves, the more quickly we'll grow and move on to a new place. Become vulnerable, at least with yourself. Be honest about what you think and how you feel. Write it. Speak it. Feel it. Release it. Then you will know where to go, when to go. What you are to do next will emerge naturally, quietly, and clearly."- Melody Beattie

No comments:

Post a Comment