Monday, April 16, 2012

Overnight Oats


Last Wednesday, I wrote about sprouted granola and on this Monday, I have to share my new found breakfast love: overnight oats. When I saw someone eating these overnight oats, during a yoga break this weekend they looked delicious. The best part is, you can mix it up in so many different ways.

The traditional recipe for Overnight Oats:

Makes 1 large serving.

½ cup rolled oats (not quick cooking)
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
2/3 cup milk -- **I use almond milk**
1 tablespoon chia seeds
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl or jar, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, stir in the mix-ins of your choosing.

Variation #1 – Pumpkin Peanut Butter

½ cup pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Variation #2 – Strawberry Banana

2 to 2 ½ tablespoons strawberry jam
1 small banana, mashed

Recipes and image via Pepper Lynn

4 comments:

  1. I totally made these last night for the first time! Although I didn't add the yogurt or chia - I will have to remember that next time! I added a dash of honey, chopped pecans, and craisins with the mix, and then threw on some cut up pears and strawberries this morning - so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds sooo good!!! I did agave nectar, slivered almonds, cinnamon... it's such a great idea for breakfast and I'm always stumped in the morning on what to eat. It's nice to grab a few bites and have it for a snack too! I. LOVE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love doing overnight oats and switching out the fruit I use. The basic version I use is 1/4 oats, 1/4 cup ezeikeil cereal, tablespoon chia seeds, 1/2 cup almond milk, dried cherries then top with frozen fruit which thaws by morning to a chilled and delicious breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to try that one too! The frozen fruit is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete