Monday, August 27, 2012

Rinsing out & Filling up

"Rinse out what no longer is serving you, and open up to what does serve you."

Hi all, I know I already wrote to you once today, but I just got back from my first yoga class at Yoga Ananda in a month... which, always gives me a little food for thought. For me, being there and doing yoga is like coming home. It's my roots here in Houston and it's what's kept me here. As we rinsed out, twisted out, opened up in backbends, and surrendered in hip openers, I realized that no matter how much time goes by, and no matter where I go or what I do, this place, my mat, it's where so much has happened. The poses have acted as a gateway to some major healing, and a way leading me back home. But, first, it's taken me through things that haven't been comfortable. It's like touching a place within, that isn't usually open and accessible-- but through our breath, we give ourselves space, to move. This movement of our bodies can bring us to places, that we sometimes can't seem to get to, or don't want to travel to otherwise. I think yoga allows us to touch the depth of our joys and sorrows within our hearts and bodies, making us whole, putting us back into balance and giving us exactly what we need, while rinsing out what we don't. Today, the theme in class was aparigraha, which translates to non-hoarding. I started thinking about hoarding in my life. Hoarding my own energy, my own time, my own thoughts and my own self. I've kept it all to myself out of fear, that if I let it all go, I would have nothing left. Slowly, through lots of time, reflection and of course, yoga, I've tried to open up more and more, but it isn't easy, at least not for me. It's challenging to be vulnerable. After class, my friend Kelly, our teacher Maria, and I all sat and talked, about life and everything in between. Maria mentioned the quote from Anais Nin, "And the day came when the risk to remain in a tight bud was more painful than the risk it takes to blossom."
I don't know about any of you, but I feel sometimes we get to points in life when we're pulled for something greater. And at these moments, we are forced to let go of attachment, we stop hoarding our energies, and we allow ourselves to open up to the vulnerability that comes with sharing who we are, who we truly are. We all have things to share, we all want to share and relate, be heard and do our  life's work that moves our soul. I think that no matter what road we take... you, me, friends, family... no matter what rode we decide to take, we choose one that allows us to blossom and we allow ourselves to open up and let it happen.

image via inspiration for wellbeing

No comments:

Post a Comment